Saturday, March 25, 2017

Lesson 4

Lesson 4
Day 4 of Holy Week-Wednesday

There is a great deal that happens on this Thursday of Holy Week. It begins early in the morning and there is a lot of information in John 13: 21- 16:33


In order that we get the most out of this week; we need to read this.
John 13:21-16:33
This week’s reading is very long, but it tells us so much about how Jesus was trying to prepare his disciples for the days ahead.   

I would encourage you to go back to the beginning of chapter 13 and begin reading from there…after all, my first question comes from there. J

Jesus begins to wash the disciple’s feet.  Have you ever had your feet washed as a part of a repentance service or a Maundy Thursday service?

If so, what did you experience?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vs. 31-38 tells us that Peter will deny Jesus before the crowds of people:

31 When he was gone, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified and God is glorified in him. 32 If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.
33 “My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
36 Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?”
Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.”
37 Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”
38 Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!”


Have you ever found yourself in a place in your life that you became afraid and wondered about denying your faith in Jesus?  If so, pray about that time and ask God to reveal why you were afraid.  If not, thank God during your prayer time that you were able to rely on the strength given through the Holy Spirit.

Take time to journal your thoughts on this passage and your walk with God.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



How about this Scripture:
     Hebrews 12: 1-3
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”


Who might be your cloud of witnesses? Do you think everyone will list the same ones?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Isaiah 50:4-9
This reading begins to share a prophecy about what Jesus would suffer at the hands of the Roman soldiers. If this interest you look up other passages in the OT that prophesy about the coming of a Messiah and what will happen to Him. That would make a good blog note.

The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed. The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears; I have not been rebellious, I have not turned away. I offered my back to those who beat me,
 my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face
 from mocking and spitting.
Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,
 I will not be disgraced. Therefore, have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame.
He who vindicates me is near. Who then will bring charges against me?
Let us face each other! Who is my accuser? Let him confront me!
It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me. Who will condemn me? They will all wear out like a garment; the moths will eat them up.”


How would you handle this kind of physical torture? Can you even imagine not saying anything? Yet Jesus did not say a word through his entire ordeal. How do you think He was able to do that?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We need to take time this week to reflect on our own ability to see this day as Jesus saw it … First, he shared with his disciples by washing their feet…then moved (moving) toward Peter’s denial…and that just gets us through chapter 13! 

Finally, you still have John 14 through 16 to contemplate.  Please blog about thoughts and questions from these chapters.




John 14 and John 15 and John 16
So much material to reflect on!!! What are 3 things that resonate with your heart?

1.___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________2.___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________3.___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


I would ask that you think about this.  Don’t stop there.  Journal it or talk about it with someone else.  Putting it into actual words either shared with someone else or written is more powerful than your thoughts alone. 

If you are a FB fan, ask me to join our closed ACC Bible Study FB group. We will be discussing our thoughts there.

Until next week! Ask God to show you how to worship Him freely and openly or, maybe, you will need to go for a walk and hear the rocks singing!


No comments:

Post a Comment